Frequently Asked Questions

How does one qualify for help through Cancer Services?

Anyone living in Brown, Callahan, Coleman, Comanche, Eastland, Fisher, Haskell, Jones, Kent, Knox, Mitchell, Nolan, Runnels, Scurry, Shackelford, Stephens, Stonewall, Taylor or Throckmorton counties who has been diagnosed with any type of cancer may use our programs and services. Financial services are available to anyone currently undergoing treatment, and those services are on a sliding scale based on current monthly income and household size.

How do I sign up?

You may visit or call our office to speak with our social worker.

Can someone else sign me up and/or pick up supplies for me?

Yes, a family member or caregiver may sign up a loved one and pick up supplies on their behalf.

How much does it cost to access the programs and services?

Our programs and services are offered to those with cancer and their families at no cost.

Do I have to be a registered client to attend your educational programs?

No, anyone may attend our educational programs, but we encourage you to call to reserve your spot.

What kinds of programs and services do you offer?

Our programs and services are designed to alleviate the emotional and financial burdens associated with cancer and include financial assistance for cancer-related costs, medical supplies, medical equipment, emotional support, support groups, spiritual support and more. We encourage you to visit our Programs & Services page for a complete list.

Do you offer financial assistance?

Yes, we do provide financial assistance for cancer-related expenses to those who qualify. Please call and speak to our social worker for more information.

What kinds of items do you have in your stock room?

We have many items in our stock room from saline flushes for ports to wheelchairs and walkers, scarves, wigs, hats, bras and prostheses. If you are looking for something specific, please call our office to inquire about its availability.

Do you provide transportation?

We provide a transportation reimbursement stipend for our clients to and from radiation and chemotherapy. We do not provide transportation currently.

Do I need to sign up for educational programs and support groups?

So that our facilitators and program staff may plan accordingly, we ask that you call to reserve your spot for all educational programs and support groups. Walk-ins are always welcome on a space-available basis.

What counties do you serve?

We serve those living in Brown, Callahan, Coleman, Comanche, Eastland, Fisher, Haskell, Jones, Kent, Knox, Mitchell, Nolan, Runnels, Scurry, Shackelford, Stephens, Stonewall, Taylor & Throckmorton counties. It doesn’t matter where you go for treatment, as long as you reside in one of the 19-counties in our service area.

What if I have insurance? May I still use your services?

Yes, our programs and services are available for anyone diagnosed with cancer, their family members and caregivers.

Do you serve children with cancer?

Yes, we provide services for children with cancer and their families.

Are there volunteer opportunities?

Yes, we are always looking for dedicated and compassionate volunteers to help us fulfill our mission. Please check out our volunteer page for more information.

How can I make a donation?

Monetary Donations – You may mail donations to 100 Chestnut, Suite 100, Abilene, TX, 79602 or make a donation online or by phone (325) 672-0040 with a credit card.

Do you accept clothing donations?

Currently the only clothing donations we are accepting are bras, hats and scarves.

What information do you need to sign up for your services?

We will need the cancer patient’s name, diagnosis, physician’s name, number of people living in their household, and general household income information (proof of income not required).

How quickly can I begin receiving services?

Services can usually begin within 24 hours, providing we can verify the cancer diagnosis and plan of treatment with the physician's office.

I know someone who has cancer but doesn’t live within one of the 19-counties you serve. Are there similar organizations like yours in other areas?

There are a few similar organizations such as ours that cover other geographic areas. Please contact our office for information and resources outside our coverage area.

Does your financial assistance cover office co-pays?

While we currently do not have the funding to assist our clients with their office co-pays, there are resources available that we can refer you to for help. Please call our office for more information and assistance.

Do I have to come to Abilene for treatment when using your services?

We don’t have any restrictions on where you go for treatment when using our services, as long as you reside in one of the 19 counties we serve.

Do you accept used medical equipment/supplies/prosthesis?

We do currently accept gently used equipment and supplies. Because of limited storage space, we ask that you call our office if you have something you would be interested in donating.